Friday, December 26, 2014

Excerpts From My China Journal - Nov. 2-3, 2014

Today I go to the Forbidden City and the Great Wall!  After my excapade yesterday, I slept, between noon and 5 am, probably 13 hours.  I must have been TIRED.  I'm hungry for food though.  I haven't eaten a bite, other than the snacks I brought from home, since the airplane.  My guide will take me out to eat today, though.  At least my stomach isn't hurting.

(Nov. 3)
Middle of the night-
today I pick up HuiYang!  I can't sleep, for obvious reasons.  LOL

I was too tried last night to write about my day, so I'll do it now.  In short, I had a great day!

Traveling in Beijing is a REAL PAIN.  I have traveled to many cities, foreign and domestic, and have never seen traffic like I have in Beijing, not even in Moscow or Rome (or Boston!).  It takes FOREVER to get anywhere!  That said, my guide, Angela, picked me up at 8:39 and we headed to the Forbidden City, which was only about 1 1/2 miles away, but took 15 min.  We went through security (which was pretty wild) and she showed me the basics of this incredible place: there actually was not much at all to see - very little furniture (other than official thrones and such in very dark rooms - but just the essensce of the place was amazing!  24 emporers over 400 years lived here - I need to watch "the Last Emperor" again - and while there really was very little to see other than the outside of buildings, it really was very cool.  The ornate mosaics, paintings, and carvings were truly breathtaking, and I'm glad I saw it.  We did not go to Tienanmen Square which is directly across the street, and houses Mao's Mausoleum, but I was able to see it from the entrance of the Forbidden City, so that's good.
The entrance to the Forbidden City.  It was a cool, beautiful day!!

Looking across the street to Tienanmen Square and Mao's Mausoleum.

The corner of most (all?) of the buildings inside the City.  I can't remember what the figures symbolize (sorry, Angela, I know you told me!) but I know that the more, the better.  ;o)

The largest carved marble in the City.  Only the Emperor could cross over it physically, but not even he could touch it as he crossed - he was carried.

The wedding quilt.  This is the sign of "Double Happiness", and was the symbol of marriage.

The back end of the Forbidden City.  This exit was only a block or two from my hotel!  (I didn't realize it at the time.  LOL)

After that, we got back in the car and drove and drove and drove, and sat in unreal traffic, until we reached the outskirts of Beijing.  My guide asked if I was okay eating at a Chinese restaurant, and I gulped and said, "Sure!".  We entered a nice restaurant and per custom, the leader (Angela) was the only one to order for the 3 of us (including the driver), as in China, restaurants serve everything "family style".  Fortunately, she asked what I liked to eat, and I gave a few suggestions.  She left to use the bathroom and I looked at the menubook:  I was astonished to see such items as "Stewed Longsnout Catfish Balls in Pea Sauce", "Sauteed Pig Kidney", and "Assorted Duck Blood Cured in Spicy".  Dear God, please, no...


The first dish out was something involving chicken and peanuts.  I'll admit, the flavor was quite good, but the "chicken"?  Not sure just what part of the chicken it was, but it wasn't no Chik Fil-A!!  LOL  It almost had the texture of pure chicken fat, but not QUITE.  Best not to think about it.

At this time, I also got my first try at chopsticks!  The waitress gave me a fork at Angela's request, but I was determined to try.  It was hard, but I could do it!  The driver was really impressed.  ;o)  LOL  I ate everything with them, including the rice!  Pretty fun.  :o)
The only meal in 3 weeks (besides Papa John's in Nanjing) that I truly enjoyed.

Next came a beef and mushroom dish that I ended up eating WAY too much of, because it was DELICIOUS!  The beef was so fresh and the seasoning sooooo perfect and the mushrooms were such that I couldn't really tell the difference between them and the meat!  I scarfed this dish down.  There was also a plate of green beans that were seasoned perfectly.  It was a wonderful lunch!!

On to the Great Wall!!

After driving a long time more, we finally arrived in a very mountainous and rugged area - very beautiful, too, as the leaves were shedding the last of their leaves for the winter.  We took a ski lift up to the top of a hill and the view was absolutely spectacular!!  Mountains all around us, the Wall snaking its way up and down the mountains here and there, the sheer rustic-ness of it all - WOW.  We hiked up and down the Wall a little ways and got some awesome pictures, then we rode a "toboggan" down the mountain to the bottom.  Absolutely fantastic.
Entrance to Mutianyu section of the Great Wall of China

Ski lift up.  Fun!  :o)  (This photo obviously does not show the beauty of the area - LOL)

No, this is not me tobogganing down the hill, but it could have been!  ;o)

The Great Wall of China

I doubt the soldiers guarding the wall during the "day" were as casual as I look in this picture.

Such a neat experience!

I could have stayed all day...

Then, it was back in the car for the long and frustrating drive back to the hotel.  Check another experience off my Bucket List!

To bed, then a BIG DAY tomorrow - Miss Hua, HuiYang becomes my daughter!!  :o)  Pray it goes well...!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment